Homepage of Ameen Abu-Hanna
Prof. dr. Ameen Abu-Hanna
Department of Medical Informatics
Academic Medical Center - University of Amsterdam
1105 AZ Amsterdam
email: a.abu-hanna at amc.uva.nl
tel: +31-20-566 5959
Ameen Abu-Hanna is full professor of Medical Informatics and head of
the department of Medical Informatics at the Academic Medical Center at the
University of Amsterdam. He is Principal Investigator in the
research area Methodology in Medical Informatics with interest in:
artificial intelligence; machine learning, datamining and statistics; prognostic modeling and evaluation; temporal patterns; subgroup discovery; decision support systems; and terminology
systems, and their application in medicine and health care.
He is associate editor of Journal of Biomedical Informatics (JBI) and a former president of the European Society
of AI in Medicine. He has served for four years as the vice-chair on the
educational board of the undergraduate and Masters programs of Medical
Informatics where he was responsible for revising the informatics part
of the curriculum. Ameen Abu-Hanna earned a BSc (Cum Laude) in
computer engineering, an MSc in computer science (both from the
Technion in Haifa) and a PhD in Artificial Intelligence from the
University of Amsterdam.
Medical Informatics Curriculum at the AMC, University of Amsterdam
- Coordinator and lecturer: Artificial Intelligence course (BSc)
- Coordinator and lecturer: Advances in Representation and Reasoning in Medicine (MSc)
- Coordinator: Scientific Research Projects (MSc). See Guidelines and open project proposals.
- Contributing lecturer in the BSc courses: Software Engineering, Medical Knowledge Technology, Computer-Based Patient Record.
- Lecturer in the International Summer School Health Informatics in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Lecturer Data Mining and Prognosis in Medicine in Braunschweig, Germany.
- Lecturer Role of Machine Learning in Medicine in Murcia, Spain.
Overview of research activities
Selected national research activities
- Committee member ZonMW TOP Grants .
- Chairman of the biennial BAZIS award for the best Medical Informatics PhD dissertation in The Netherlands and Flanders.
- Member of the judging-committee for the "Future Award" of the Dutch Society for Healthcare Informatics for the best Medical Informatics Masters thesis in The Netherlands and Flanders.
- Co-editor of the Dutch Yearbook on Medical Informatics
- 2005 special issue on Regional Networks
- 2006 special issue on Evaluation of IT Systems in Health Care
- 2007 special issue on Selfmanagement
- 2008 special issue on Simulation Models in Health Care
- 2009 special issue on Decision Support and Privacy
- 2010 special issue on 40 years of the Dutch association of Healthcare Informatics
Editorship of international Journals and Lecture Notes volumes
- Editor of special issue of Int Journal Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, 1999.
- Editor of special issue of Int Journal Methods of Information in Medicine, 2001.
- Editor of special issue of Int Journal Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, 2004.
- Editor of Springer's Lecture Notes on AI, Volume 4594- AIME 07 proceedings 2007.
- Editor of special issue of Int Journal Artificial Intelligence in
- Editor of Springer's Lecture Notes on AI Volume 5651- AIME 09 proceedings 2009.
- Editor virtual issue of Journal of Biomedical Informatics on prognostic models, 2013.
Organization of international events
- Organizer and chair workshop Model-based Diagnosis, Lille, France, 1996.
- Co-organizer and chair workshop Prognostic Models in Medicine, Hammamet, Tunis, 1998.
- Co-organizer and chair workshop Prognostic Methods in Medicine, Alborg, Denmark, 1999.
- Co-organizer and chair workshop Bayesian Models in Medicine, Cascais, Portugal, 2001.
- Co-organizer and chair European Science Foundation Workshop on Fundamentals of Medical Informatics, Elsbeeth, The Netherlands 2002.
- Organizer Symposium Decision Support in Medicine, Amsterdam, The Netherlands 2003.
- Co-organizer and chair workshop Intelligent Data Analysis in Medicine and Pharmacology, Protaras, Cyprus, 2003.
- Organization and teaching the Tutorial Evaluation of Prognostic Models in Medicine during MEDINFO, San Francisco, USA, 2004.
- Local organizer of the Artificial Intelligence Conference (AIME 2007), Amsterdam.
- Organizer doctoral consortium during AIME 2009, Verona, Italy, 2009.
- Organizer Poster Session during MEDINFO 2010, Cape Town, South Africa, 2010.
- Organizer tutorial on Essentials of Data mining in Clinical Applications: Development, Evaluation, and Use during MEDINFO 2010, Cape Town, South Africa, 2010.
- Organizer special session on Apllications of AI/IT systems in Medicine, AIME 2011, Bled Slovenia.
- Chair best student paper award, MEDINFO 2013, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Organizer tutorial on Prognostic models in Medicine, AIME 2013, Murcia, Spain.
- Tutorial on predictive models, AIME, Pavia, 2015.
- Tutorial on predictive models, MEDINFO, Brazil, 2015
- Scientific Program Committee track chair MEDINFO, Brazil, 2015.
Invited/Keynote speaker in international meetings
- Research directions in Medical Informatics, University of Ulster, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK, 1998.
- Terminology systems and AI in Medicine, Stanford University, USA 2002.
- Role of Informatics in Medicine, Charles University, Czech Republic, 2003.
- Keynote speaker at Knowledge-Based services for the Public Sector-Medical Applications, Petersberg, Germany 2004.
- Keynote Speaker: Intelligent Data Analysis in Medicine and Pharmacology, Stanford, USA 2004.
- Research topics in medical temporal data mining, Murcia, Spain 2005.
- Invited panel member on Server Oriented Architectures in the IDAMAP workshop, Verona, Italy 2006.
- Invited speaker, Prognostic Models in the Intensive Care, Murcia, Spain 2007.
- Keynote speaker, Medical Informatics Methods and Tools for Risk
Management in Health Care. Workshop on Risk Management in Health Care, Univerity of Pavia, Italy 2007.
- Invited panel member on Temporal Datamining, AMIA, San Francisco, USA, 2009.
- Invited panel member on Automatic Data Analysis in Biomedicine: Applications and Challenges, MEDINFO, Cape Town, South Africa, 2010.
- Invited speaker, Prognostic models and decision support systems: where we are and
where we ought to go. University of Haifa, Israel 2011.
- Invited speaker, Prognostic methods in the ICU: the role of pattern and subgroup discovery. 10th International Conference on Complexity in Acute Illness, Bonn, Germany, 2011.
- Invited panel member on Adherence to Guidelines, MEDINFO, Copenhagen, Denmark 2013.
- Keynote speaker, the Italian Bioengineering conference, Pavia, Italy, 2014.
- Invited lecturer, International Workshops in Life Sciences: "Decision-Making in Biomedical Science", Potsdam, Germany, 2014.
Journal Board Editorship/Membership
- Associate editor of Journal of Biomedical Informatics.
- Board member of Methods of Information in Medicine.
- International Advisory Board of the International Journal of Big Data and Analytics in Healthcare
Pls use the Go Back arrow in your browser if you click on an article title and wish to go back: